Thursday 15 May 2014

Omeruo foresees Nigeria in W/Cup semis

Nigeria international defender, Kenneth Omeruo has predicted that the Super Eagles will reach the final of the 2014 Fifa World Cup in Brazil.
No African side has ever reached the last four of the Fifa World Cup finals but Omeruo reckons Nigeria will be pacesetters in that regard.
“I’m hoping we’ll get to the final. But I think at least the semifinals,” Omeruo told fifa.com.
The 20-year-old made 14 league appearances for Middlesbrough in the Championship last season following a loan switch from Chelsea in January.
It’s been reported in the media that Omeruo will very likely not return to the Riverside Stadium next term but the defender looks back at his time in the North East with fondness.
“I’ve really enjoyed my time at Middlesbrough. I knew that if I had the chance to play I would keep the position,” he said.
Middlesbrough manager, Aitor Karanka has not hidden his love for the Nigerian defender who in turn has nothing but praise for the Spaniard.
“I would like to thank the club, the manager especially for believing in me and playing me. I’m happy that I didn’t disappoint him.
“I knew I had to play games to be fit for the World Cup and also to make the squad. It’s been a really good season for me.
“It’s easy to play under a manager that has played in the centre of defence. I’m lucky to have the same in the national team [with Stephen Keshi]. You get advice from them on how you should play,” he explained.
Omeruo joined Chelsea in 2012 but was then dispatched on loan to Dutch club, ADO Den Haag.
He made league 36 appearances and scored twice for the Eredivisie club in the 2012/13 season and insists he developed as a professional during his time at the Kyocera Stadion.
“I think a lot of my development was from Dutch football. I was under a good manager there, who liked me and the way I play.
“He played me in a position that I didn’t know how to play before [full-back], it was a really good experience. That’s what got me into the national team,” he said.
Omeruo, who represented his country with distinction at Under-20 level, then took the time to discuss his experiences with the seniors.
“It was unbelievable. It was my first appearance for the national team [at the start of the tournament], and then we were lifting the trophy. I felt good and it was a day I will never forget.
“I remember watching the World Cup in South Africa. It was disappointing that we didn’t come out of the group in 2010.
“We’ll have to play for the Nigerian fans because it was a massive welcome when we won the African Cup of Nations. They showed us how much they love football and how much they are behind us, so we have to play for them,” he said.
Nigeria have been grouped alongside Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Iran at the World Cup but the Chelsea defender is looking forward to the game against the South Americans with particular interest.
“I’m really looking forward to the game against Argentina. We will try as much as possible to keep a clean sheet. It will be difficult but we have to do that.
“They are the best players in the world and we have to show our quality by standing up to them. We will first of all have to make sure we get maximum points from the first two games.
“I watch (Lionel Messi) a lot on TV. It’s going to be a team effort to try and stop him. Everyone will have to be positive and 100 per cent focused on the game,” he said.
Omeruo has been capped 14 times by Nigeria at senior level.

No comments:

Post a Comment